Saturday, April 6, 2013

How did marriage get started anyway?

I do! I do ExhibitI was graciously invited to attend the opening of the  I Do! I Do! exhibit at the Pasadena History Museum. They are currently featuring forty-two bridal gowns and the wedding stories that accompany them from the 1850's to the 1950's.
I had a blast! I was lucky enough to meet other great wedding professionals, I had the chance to walk next door and see the beautiful Fenyes Mansion  (wowzers! this is a beautiful event property that we must explore in a future blog!), and I had the chance to see some glamorous wedding gowns!
It got me thinking...how did marriage/weddings get started anyway?

After reading and re-reading multiple websites I realized that it wasn't as romantic as I was hoping it would be (wha wha wha!).
Here's what I dished:
1880 wedding dress


  • It appears that in the beginning marriage had nothing to do with "love". It was really an economic arrangement negotiated between fathers in which blood line, wealth, status, economic stability, and potential for prosperity were the most important consideration for choosing a spouse. (YIKES!!)
  • Women were the property of their husband (Thank goodness that's changed!)
  • It really began with Christianity promoting marriage for procreative purposes only.
  • It wasn't till the 12th Century that relationships were thought of as courtly love in the same way we do now. The whole notion of romance apparently didn't exist till then. (Geez!) 
  • In 1563 it was decreed that marriages should be celebrated in the presence of a priest and at least two witnesses. (only a church thang')
  • It wasn't till the The Marriage Act of 1836 that allowed for non-religious civil marriages to be held in register offices.
  • In the United States prior to the 1700s, marriages were primarily a responsibility of local churches but by the 19th century, states began to issue marriage licenses in the same way we do now.
Not romantic at all huh?... I know. But regardless to how history has shaped marriage as we know it, some things have been constant; marriage is a bond between two people that involve responsibility, legalities, and commitment!


Cheers!
jenny g.



No comments:

Post a Comment